The Power of Forgiveness
Aoefengshui Advanced ZDWS Course. One-on-one teaching

• The Power of Forgiveness 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: The Power of Forgiveness  (Read 2775 times)

Offline ArtofFugue

• Contributor
  • G501++
  • Last Login:Hidden
  • PRIVATE AND NON-COMMERCIAL PRACTITIONER
    • View Profile
  • The Power of Forgiveness
    « on: December 20, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »
    Learn the benefits of compassion, how to experience forgiveness and why Revenge Doesn't Work
    Published on September 8, 2011 by Judith Orloff, M.D. in “Emotional Freedom”

In my new book, I emphasize the importance of forgiveness and why revenge doesn’t work. Forgiveness is the act of compassionately releasing the desire to punish someone or yourself for an offense. It’s a state of grace, nothing you can force or pretend. There are no short cuts. Mistakenly, some of my patients, wanting to be “spiritual,” have prematurely tried to forgive after someone emotionally knifes them in the gut. First, you must feel anger before you can begin to forgive. I gradually guide patients to the large-heartedness of forgiving injuries either caused by others or self-inflicted.

Revenge is the desire to get even when someone does you wrong. It’s natural to feel angry, to say “I’m not going to let that person get away with this,” whatever “this” is. However, revenge reduces you to your worst self, puts you on the same level with those spiteful people we claim to abhor. Additionally, studies have shown that revenge increases stress and impairs health and immunity. Sure, if someone hits you with a stick, you have the impulse to hit them back - the basis for wars. To thrive personally and as a species, we must resist this predictable lust for revenge, and seek to right wrongs more positively. This doesn’t make you a pushover; you’re just refusing to act in a tediously destructive way antithetical to ever finding peace. As Confucius says, "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." (One for you and the other for your antagonist.)

What I’m suggesting is a version of “turn the other check” yet still doing everything to preserve what’s important to you. The hard part, though, is watching someone “get away with something” when there’s nothing you can do about it. Yes, your wife left you for the yoga instructor. Yes, your colleague sold you out. With situations like this in my life, I take solace in the notion of karma, that sooner or later, what goes around comes around. Also know that the best revenge is your success, happiness, and the triumph of not giving vindictive people any dominion over your peace of mind.

Forgiveness refers to the actor not the act. Not to the offense but the woundedness of the offender. This doesn’t mean you’ll run back to your battering spouse because of compassion for the damaged person he or she is. Of course you want to spare yourself mistreatment. However, from a distance, you can try to forgive the conscious or unconscious suffering that motivates people. Our desire to transform anger is a summoning of peace, well worth the necessary soul stretching.

To experience forgiveness, try this exercise from “EMOTIONAL FREEDOM’
    Emotional Action Step. Be Bigger Than Anger--Practice Forgiveness Now

1.   Identify one person you’re angry with. Start with someone low on your list, not your rage-aholic father. Then you can get a taste of forgiveness quickly. After that you can proceed to tackle more challenging targets.
    2.   Honestly address your feelings. Talk to friends, your therapist, or other supportive people, but get the anger out. I also recommend writing your feelings down in a journal to purge negativity. Then, decide whether you want to raise the issue with someone.
    3.   Begin to forgive. Hold the person you’re angry with clearly in your mind. Then ask yourself, “What emotional shortcomings caused him or her to treat me poorly?” This is what you want to have compassion for, the area to forgive. Definitely, don’t subject yourself to shabby treatment, but reach for compassion for the person’s emotional blindness or cold heart.

Here’s how forgiveness can work in a range of situations where you’d have every right to be angry. It establishes a kinder mindset whether or not you decide to confront someone.
    > A good friend acts inconsiderately when she’s having a bad day. Remember, nobody’s perfect. You may want to let the incident slide. If you do mention it, don’t make this one-time slight into a big deal. Give your friend a break--forgive the lapse.
    > A coworker takes credit for your ideas. Do damage control, whether it means mentioning this situation to the coworker, your boss, or Human Resources, and don’t trust her with ideas in the future. However, try to forgive the coworker for being such a greedy, insecure, mean-spirited person that she has to stoop so low as to steal from you.
    > Your mother-in-law is needy or demanding. Keep setting kind but firm boundaries so over time you can reach palatable compromises. But also have mercy on the insecurities beneath her neediness and demands--perhaps fear of being alone, of aging, of being excluded from the family, of not being heard. This will soften your response to her.
    > You suffered childhood abuse. The healing process of recovering from abuse requires enormous compassion for yourself and is facilitated by support from other abuse survivors, family, friends, or a therapist. Still, if you feel ready to work towards forgiveness of an abuser, it necessitates seeing the brokenness and suffering that would make the person want to commit such grievous harm. You’re not excusing the behavior or returning to it, but grasping how emotionally crippled he or she is, a huge stretch of compassion, but the path to freedom.

Forgiveness is a paradigm-shifting solution for transforming anger. It liberates you from the trap of endless revenge so that you can experience more joy and connection. Forgiveness does more for you than anyone else because it liberates you from negativity and lets you move forward. Forgiving might not make anger totally dissolve but it will give you the freedom of knowing you are so much more.

Judith Orloff MD is the author of the New York Times bestseller <<Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself From Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life>> (Three Rivers Press, 2011) upon which this article is based. Her work has been featured on The Today Show, CNN, the Oprah Magazine and USA Today. Dr. Orloff synthesizes the pearls of traditional medicine with cutting edge knowledge of intuition and energy medicine. An Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at UCLA, she passionately believes that the future of medicine involves integrating all this wisdom to achieve emotional freedom and total wellness. For more inspiration visit www.drjudithorloff.com.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:54:55 PM by ArtofFugue »
    By people sharing knowledge/info publicly, the info itself does not devalue to become "common internet data which lacks credibility and needs verifying". If everyone thinks in this way, nobody would want to share anymore in order to protect the value and integrity of their knowledge.

Offline hokyau

• G301-G400
    • View Profile
  • Re: The Power of Forgiveness
    « Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »
    haha I have this book! Learning to let go, understanding that anger is self-destructive and not reacting helps too  ;)

Offline ArtofFugue

• Contributor
    • G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:05:56 PM »
    haha I have this book! Learning to let go, understanding that anger is self-destructive and not reacting helps too  ;)

Did you also watch the 2014 movie "Railway Man" too?

It's never easy to let go and forgive but we have to try to do it, not for them but for ourselves.
    By people sharing knowledge/info publicly, the info itself does not devalue to become "common internet data which lacks credibility and needs verifying". If everyone thinks in this way, nobody would want to share anymore in order to protect the value and integrity of their knowledge.

Offline hokyau

• G301-G400
    • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 06:16:35 PM »

Did you also watch the 2014 movie "Railway Man" too?

It's never easy to let go and forgive but we have to try to do it, not for them but for ourselves.
    Nope haven't been watching movies for a long time. Spend more time watching KDramas hahahaha But thanks for the headsup  :)

About "for ourselves" yes! many times, our ego takes offence of things people do ... and the beauty of it is that they did not mean it ie unintentional ... so they are totally unaware of how we've interpreted their actions. Imagine ... the do'er has no clue you're upset & the do'ee is fuming because of the way he's interpreted the do'er's action. So silly!

I've been taught that whatever happens, the only thing that's important is how we ourselves view it. Mental anguish is not inflicted upon us, we do it to ourselves. As an example, I did not allow myself to accept a certain vegetable's actions to bother me ;)

Offline jellynut

• G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 06:23:14 PM »
    As an example, I did not allow myself to accept a certain vegetable's actions to bother me ;)

It sounds more like you're trying to convince yourself with this one. Otherwise, why bother mentioning it at all.

Offline hokyau

• G301-G400
    • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 06:52:37 PM »
    As an example, I did not allow myself to accept a certain vegetable's actions to bother me ;)

It sounds more like you're trying to convince yourself with this one. Otherwise, why bother mentioning it at all.
    hahaha I'm not perfect, just feeling happy I conquered that one ... but thanks for the reminder ;)

Offline Axis

• Contributor
    • G501++
      • View Profile
    Re: The Power of Forgiveness
    « Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 07:07:44 PM »
    [Hidden post: You need login to forum to see it.]
    « Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:10:19 PM by Axis »

Offline ArtofFugue

• Contributor
    • G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 01:38:11 PM »
    « Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:45:12 PM by ArtofFugue »

Offline ArtofFugue

• Contributor
    • G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 10:48:52 PM »
    A teacher once asked her students to each bring to school a sack of potatoes.  For every painful experience they could recall, and for every person they could not forgive in their life, each student had to choose a potato and then carve into it the name of the antagonist, incident and the date of the occurrence.

For an entire month the students were required to carry around their personalized sack of potatoes at all times.   It lay beside their bed at night, sat with them at lunch and on the bus, and while they were with friends.

The hassle of lugging around this load soon made it profoundly clear what a weight they were carrying around emotionally.  The people whose names were inscribed on the potatoes were not in the least affected by the heavy burden.

It seemed a rather high price to pay to hold onto people, situations and emotions that were of no positive value in their lives.  The students began to see forgiveness and letting go as a gift to themselves, rather than a gift to others.

Offline ArtofFugue

• Contributor
    • G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 03:00:24 PM »
    [Hidden post: You need login to forum to see it.]

Thanks for sharing.

I Ching also has something on forgiveness and letting go.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:04:05 PM by ArtofFugue »

Offline Gupta

• G1-G50
    • Last Login:February 03, 2018, 02:09:19 AM
    • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 01:15:12 AM »
    @Macadamia  :o :-\ :-\ :-\

lai lai lai come with peace ::)

Offline Macadamia

• G1-G50
    • Last Login:February 04, 2018, 05:41:30 PM
    • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 02:36:20 AM »

I wonder what your original account nickname is... LOL

Offline Covfefe

• G1-G50
    • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 03:38:45 AM »

Admin Gupta?  :-\

Soon newbie Admin ( with a new nick) will be translating and teaching us Heaven Instillation Treasure or ZPZQPZ. Yippee! Lai lai lai let’s learn together!

Quoting Admin:
    Harsh truth  ???
    - Clone accounts. Clone accounts everyone. In fact the Administrator himself is going to use clone account to contribute translated text. In the future, if you see one member keep posting Heaven Instillation Treasure or ZPZQPZ text then he could be my clone account.
    Source: http://fivearts.info/fivearts/index.php?topic=16180.msg174651#msg174651
    🌈The purpose of life is to create your life as you see fit ☀️

Online Administrator

• Administrator
    • G501++
    • Last Login:Today at 10:11:46 PM
    • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 03:50:33 AM »

Admin Gupta?  :-\

Soon newbie Admin ( with a new nick) will be translating and teaching us Heaven Instillation Treasure or ZPZQPZ. Yippee! Lai lai lai let’s learn together!

Quoting Admin:
    Harsh truth  ???
    - Clone accounts. Clone accounts everyone. In fact the Administrator himself is going to use clone account to contribute translated text. In the future, if you see one member keep posting Heaven Instillation Treasure or ZPZQPZ text then he could be my clone account.
    Source: http://fivearts.info/fivearts/index.php?topic=16180.msg174651#msg174651

A clone never complain against another clone who never complain against clone.... ;D

BTW welcome back after so many times leaving this forum.

Offline ArtofFugue

• Contributor
    • G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 11:25:43 AM »
    @Administrator : True indeed.

Alot of clone accounts were talking to each other last night, it's all just 1 person talking to himself. Just ignore is the best.

five arts forum

Re: The Power of Forgiveness
    « Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 11:25:43 AM »
    Fortune-telling / birth chart reading / predict your future services by Master Tony (aka aoefengshui). Area of interest:
    Category 1: Relationship/Peach Blossom/Marriage/Spouse/Divorce.
    Category 2: Wealth/Business/Investment/Legal Problem.
    Category 3: Career Plan/Career Move/Job Promotion/Study.
    Category 4: Health/Pregnancy/Children/Accident/Disaster.
    Category 5: The Luck of next 10 years: (Master Tony will work out your luck for next 10 years in general and point out the happening years for the important events).
    Category 6: The Luck of next 12 months: (Master Tony will work out your luck for next 12 months in general and point out the happening months for the important events.)
    Category 7: Your own Category which didn’t mention above.

Note: Master Tony will provide you the reading report in writing and also one private Q&A session afterwards. Everything to be conducted conveniently and anonymously via this forum online.

More detail | About Master Tony (aka aoefengshui) | Ask question privately | Post question in Pre-sales forum | Testimonials | View sample Fortune-telling report
    Tired of advertisement on the forum? Remove advertisement on the forum now. For detail, please click here.
    Learn fortune-telling skills from Master Tony (Purple Star Astrology / 紫微斗数 / ZWDS)

Features: Online private learning | one-on-one teaching | Everything starts from zero | 24/7 access to constantly updated learning materials | Medium of instruction: English

Tags:

The power of x quality of gods

Started by socratesBoard Si Zhu Ba Zi (SZBZ) 四柱八字

Replies: 0
    Views: 30
    Last post August 11, 2018, 09:38:13 PM
    by socrates
    Useless direct power

Started by socratesBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 5
    Views: 149
    Last post July 30, 2018, 08:12:35 PM
    by socrates
    The Power Of...

Started by LockettBoard Miscellaneous casual talks

Replies: 8
    Views: 484
    Last post September 07, 2017, 09:56:56 PM
    by Kikilala
    Selecting Heavenly Forgiveness Day

Started by RaoBoard Date Selection

Replies: 2
    Views: 699
    Last post May 14, 2017, 09:41:04 PM
    by Rao
    Divination and Power

Started by AxisBoard History, culture and food

Replies: 1
    Views: 795
    Last post January 17, 2017, 02:26:19 AM
    by CyanCat
    What meaning don't have 'Power element', 'Authority' or 7K??

Started by nikmatBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 6
    Views: 931
    Last post October 26, 2016, 01:24:04 AM
    by nikmat
    ▲The Power of X - Analysing the 10 Gods

Started by DaisyBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Views: 743
    Last post February 22, 2016, 09:39:08 AM
    by Megan
    ▲Re: The Miracle of New Avatar Power

Started by MaisieBoard Charm & Incantation

Views: 416
    Last post February 20, 2016, 04:57:40 PM
    by Maisie
    Power Controlling Parallel using PM Thatcher as example

Started by decha_wooBoard Blindman School (Mangpai Bazi)

Replies: 12
    Views: 1554
    Last post March 10, 2016, 09:37:59 PM
    by decha_woo
    ▲Re: Power of X - Enter the Ten Gods by JY

Started by MollyBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 46
    Views: 2555
    Last post February 17, 2016, 01:07:57 PM
    by Darcy
    ▲If you have a lot of power in your chart how can you not have money?

Started by MeganBoard Si Zhu Ba Zi (SZBZ) 四柱八字

Views: 504
    Last post February 11, 2016, 10:21:18 AM
    by Holly
    ▲Re: "Follow Power" must not have contolling Element

Started by ErinBoard Si Zhu Ba Zi (SZBZ) 四柱八字

Replies: 42
    Views: 2500
    Last post February 01, 2016, 01:49:00 PM
    by Isla
    ▲Help with Hexagram #34 Ta Chuang / The power of the great

Started by JamesBoard Yi Jing Zhan Bu (YJZB)

Replies: 16
    Views: 1588
    Last post January 31, 2016, 12:21:43 AM
    by Theodore
    ▲What happens when a chart is a follow leader, power, wealth?

Started by MadisonBoard Si Zhu Ba Zi (SZBZ) 四柱八字

Views: 383
    Last post January 29, 2016, 04:57:15 PM
    by Madison
    ▲Power of mantra and it's cultivation

Started by KianBoard Charm & Incantation

Replies: 12
    Views: 672
    Last post January 08, 2016, 10:42:14 PM
    by Aiden
    ▲Power pole sha qi

Started by FlorenceBoard Feng Shui

Views: 292
    Last post January 04, 2016, 09:45:16 AM
    by Bella
    ▲Is power/husband favorable for me?

Started by EvanBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 5
    Views: 413
    Last post December 30, 2015, 05:46:26 PM
    by Ava
    ▲Kombinasi dan Power II

Started by ErinBoard Konsultasi Terbuka

Replies: 4
    Views: 400
    Last post December 13, 2015, 05:35:34 PM
    by Skye
    ▲Re: Kombinasi dan power...

Started by LilyBoard Konsultasi Terbuka

Replies: 30
    Views: 1144
    Last post December 13, 2015, 05:53:10 AM
    by Skye
    Forgiveness and Health

Started by renBoard 2. Art of Medicine (Healing)

Replies: 8
    Views: 1484
    Last post August 09, 2015, 04:36:01 PM
    by ArtofFugue
    Fake Follow Power

Started by renBoard Si Zhu Ba Zi (SZBZ) 四柱八字

Views: 920
    Last post August 05, 2015, 12:49:31 PM
    by flyingphoenix
    The Power of Positive Thinking

Started by anton8888Board Members Lounge

Replies: 22
    Views: 2346
    Last post August 31, 2017, 10:52:01 AM
    by IKW
    The Power of Positive Thinking

Started by ArtofFugueBoard Miscellaneous casual talks

Replies: 25
    Views: 4802
    Last post October 18, 2017, 11:16:32 AM
    by ArtofFugue
    If you have a lot of power in your chart how can you not have money?

Started by AdministratorBoard Si Zhu Ba Zi (SZBZ) 四柱八字

Views: 1212
    Last post October 03, 2014, 01:10:03 AM
    by Administrator
    The Power of Thank You

Started by ArtofFugueBoard Miscellaneous casual talks

Replies: 36
    Views: 4549
    Last post November 09, 2017, 07:54:06 AM
    by j27945
    Do not underestimate the power of crystals

Started by ArtofFugueBoard Feng Shui

Replies: 6
    Views: 2239
    Last post July 23, 2017, 04:12:09 PM
    by TenVirtues

Disclaimer:

Your use of FiveArts.Info is at your sole risk. FiveArts.Info cannot be held responsible for the inaccuracy of the readings and information provided by its members. FiveArts.Info owners, administrators, moderators, masters, members, partners expressly disclaim all warranties of any kind whether express or implied including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.