Aoefengshui Advanced ZDWS Course. One-on-one teaching

• Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經 A Classic Chinese book of divination 5 2
Currently:  

Author Topic: Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經 A Classic Chinese book of divination  (Read 2617 times)

Offline voglee

• G101-G300
  • Last Login:Hidden
    • View Profile
  • Ling Ch'i Ching; 靈棋經  "Classic of the Divine Chess"

It is not known when and by whom it was written. Legend has it that the strategist Zhang Liang got it from Huang Shigong (黃石公), a semi-mythological figure in Chinese history. The first commented edition of the work appeared in the Jin Dynasty.

As the name of the work suggests, the work tells of how to divine with tokens like Chinese chess or xiangqi (象棋) pieces, instead of with the traditional turtle shells or yarrow stalks used in I Ching.

Twelve Xiang qi pieces are used; each is a disc with a character on one side, and unmarked on the other. Four have the character for "up" (上, pronounced shang), four have the character for "middle" (中, zhong), and four have the character for "down" (下, xia), representing the Three Realms: Heaven (天, tian), Humanity (人, ren), and Earth (地, di), respectively. The pieces are cast and the resulting combination is looked up in the text of the Lingqijing for what fortune the combination means.

The text of the Lingqijing has an entry for all 125 combinations (i.e., three kinds of pieces, times the five possibilities for each kind: one through four pieces landing face up, or none).

https://www.amazon.com/Ling-Ching-Classic-Chinese-Oracle/dp/0760712395

... will be continued
    « Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:28:37 AM by voglee »
    What is above form is called Tao; What is within form is called Tool.
    ----------
    Confucius

Offline voglee

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
  • Re: Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經 A Classic Chinese book of divination
    « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 01:15:58 AM »
    The Ling Qi Jing "灵 棋" is the only book that presents a complete and systematic description of ancestral divinatory practice. The Ling Qi Jing is divided into two volumes and there are 125 oracular poems or Gua. Legend has it that it was transmitted by Huang Shi Gong "黄石公" (Master of the Yellowstone) to Zhang Liang "张良". Later it was Dongfang Shuo "东方朔" who mastered this method in order to be able to propagate it in the world.

The Ling Qi Jing uses Qi, parts of the Chinese chess game, as instruments to predict good fortune.

When we question the Qi to know our fate, Gua or trigram results, each of the 125 Gua, a term borrowed from the Yijing, corresponds to a divinatory poem.

1. The manufacture of Ling Qi.
    Wooden pieces or "muzi" from different species, such as jujube wood and sandalwood, must be used. You have to cut 12 wooden rings on which Chinese characters are engraved: four shang 上 for the top row (the sky), four zhong 中 for the middle row (the man) and four xia 下 for the bottom row (Earth).

It is then necessary to consult the lunar calendar containing a cycle of 60 years

in order to choose::
    the day jiazi 甲子 suitable to carve the pieces;
    The day jiaxu 甲戌 propitious to write the characters;
    The day jiashen 甲申 propitious to sculpt the characters;
    The day jiawu 甲午 conducive to pour the vermilion red dye;
    The day jiashen 甲辰 conducive to manufacture the cabinet;
    The jiayin day 甲寅 propitious for making offerings; Excluding Saturdays.

2. The rituals.
    Every year on the seventh day of the first month of the lunar calendar, one must purify oneself by bathing and fasting, place on the edge of the water on a clean bamboo carpet of alcohol and dried fruits, make three times the bow And read the texts of wishes. This ritual is repeated every seventh day of the month.

3. The preliminaries.
    Before saying the right venture, one would first have to dress properly, wear a hat, burn incense and sit calmly, tranquilize one's mind and concentrate, take the pieces in one's hands and recite The sky is clear, the earth is calm, the spirit is flashing, the incense is lit, the ten orientations are calmed, the drum sounds three times and the ten thousand gods are listening.

Heaven and earth are united for the De, the sun and the moon unite for clarity, the four seasons follow each other in order, the devils and the gods unite for the good and evil omen.

The celestial God is selfish, only De can help, so we take the exact date of the origin of the name, the year, month, day, time of origin of the name to burn

The sun, the moon, the five planets (Venus, Jupiter, Mercury, Mars, Saturn), the 28 lunar mansions, The five elements (metal, wood, water, fire, earth), the six trunks, the yin and the yang, the luminous hall, the DE of the year, the 12 gods of heaven, the 12 terrestrial branches, The year, the month, the day, the hour at which the event took place, we calm down, we remain silent, we hesitate.

So we ask them to help us decide, if it is a good omen, we speak of good, if it is a bad omen, we speak of evil, gains, losses, good and evil. Trigrams can revealed to us.
    With great respect, saints and enlightened minds are asked to reveal to us what must be said.

Then, we repeat three times in his head Ong Ma Ni Ba Mi Hong (Om Mani Padme Hum), then we launch the 12 pieces. According to the result obtained for the four shang 上 of the top row, the four zhong 中 of the middle row and the four xia 下 of the bottom row, we see the trigram that will determine the good or bad omen.
    enlighting

.... to be continue
    « Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:35:16 AM by voglee »
    ----------
    Confucius

Offline voglee

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
  • Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經 A Classic Chinese book of divination
    « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 03:40:51 PM »
    Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經
    The 3000-year-old Yijing or Book of Changes is a widely known, much-translated, and well-respected Chinese oracle, but hardly known at all in the west, though a popular street diviner's oracle in the east, is the Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經, a picturesque Daoist oracle written down circa 300 CE, give or take 100 years. Daoism is the philosophy associated with the Daodejing, that of allowing things to happen, not pushing the flow, and wuwei, the graceful ease that comes from not striving to reach an end result. This philosophical Daoism also gave rise to a magical folk Daoism, where the Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經 is more at home.

There are only two English translations of the work, one of which translates the 'magical chess-pieces' as 'spirit tokens'. 'Empowered draughts' is another possible translation. The oracle is consulted by dropping 12 of these 'chess-pieces' to the ground, which forms a 'trigraph' and points you to one of 125 possible oracular pronouncements. (To avoid confusion, it is well at the outset to distinguish the two uses of the word 'oracle' – the Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經 itself is an oracle, but in use what it tells you in specific circumstances is the oracle it gives you.)

https://www.amazon.com/Ling-Chi-Ching-Classic-Chinese/dp/0813341744

The Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經 is a beautiful and poetic work, giving you a concrete image that you can picture almost like a scene from a film, imparting meaning directly without need of lengthy explanation. It is easy to use and not hard to understand. Typical images used in the Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經 range from legendary physicians administering magical pills, being attacked by bandits, riding dragons, or using talismans to ward off ghosts. Long journeys, sacred mountains, fragrant orchids, snow and impenetrable roads all serve to create a sense of landscape and setting. One beautiful image pictures a phoenix carrying pearls in its beak. But side-by-side with such mythical images are pictures of ordinary everyday life – gathering in the crops, tossing and turning in bed unable to sleep, hens being frightened by a fox.

Here's an example of what a Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經 trigraph looks like:

A Page from Ancient Text...

Name: 26 P’ing An
    Peaceful contentment
    The image of deciding doubts
    Yin dwells above and below
    Kan (water), True north
    Oracle
    Above and below both settled, the mind does not give birth to perversity.
    Contented, it has no worries. Do not believe rumors.
    Verse
    A pair of swallows return to the southern states,
    Seeking out the families Wang and Hsieh.
    Amid the carved halls of spring light serene,
    They entrust their lives to fate.

... after one tossing the daces and getting  (par example ) this trigraph .. start trying to correlate his question is done by the meaning of the texts ( Starting from the Name of thrigraph - Oracle text - Verse text ..)

After Verse text  there are many helpful works (Commentaries) from Four divination Masters in past hystory in china ... and at the end fom Authors work... so ..
    1. Yen Commentary
    2. Ho Commentary
    3. Ch'en
    Commentary
    4. Liu
    Commentary
    5. Author's Commentary

best wishes .. and good luck
    @voglee
    « Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:58:25 PM by voglee »
    ----------
    Confucius

Offline Axis

• Contributor
    • G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »
    [Hidden post: You need login to forum to see it.]

Offline voglee

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 04:45:12 PM »
    Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經

Additional Notes ....

ABOUT Four divination Masters ...
    The four commentaries found in most of the extant texts have been fully provided in the translation because each of them brings a slightly different perspective and focuses on different issues.
    Moreover, they reflect four different time periods, although there is some question about Yen Yu-ming, who is generally thought to have lived sometime during the Chin period (265-420 CE).
    Ho Ch’eng-T’ien, a scholar-official noted both for his writings on the rites and his involvement in military affairs, who flourished in the early part of the brief Sung period (420-477 CE);
    Ch’en Shih-K’ai, a reclusive figure in the Mongolian Yuan dynasty of the fourteenth century;

* All the above 3 scholars lived during periods of upheaval, social discord, frequent battles, barbarian invasions, and even foreign domination, when people turned increasingly to Taoist and eventually Buddhist beliefs as a refuge against the misery and pessimism of the times. Consequently, their commentaries tend to be concerned with misfortune and ill fortune, with the times being out-of-joint and tendencies truly inauspicious.

Liu Chi, who was active at the end of the Yuan and in the early Ming dynasties, and probably edited the commonly available editions as well as providing his own commentary.
    *This scholar, however, witnessed the establishment of the great Ming dynasty and might be expected to have a more optimistic outlook.

FULL PAGE EXAMPLE ....

Name: 26 P’ing An
    Peaceful contentment
    The image of deciding doubts
    Yin dwells above and below
    Kan (water), True north

Oracle

Above and below both settled, the mind does not give birth to perversity.
    Contented, it has no worries. Do not believe rumors.

Verse
    A pair of swallows return to the southern states,
    Seeking out the families Wang and Hsieh.
    Amid the carved halls of spring light serene,
    They entrust their lives to fate.

THE COMMENTARIES
    Yen Yu-ming, °
    The mind being correct is itself auspicious. “Do not believe rumors.”
    The traveler will arrive.
    The imprisoned will get out.
    Even though in this trigraph the upper and lower positions are both yin, triple yang dwells in the middle.
    Although at first there might be anxiety and error, since each of the two yin positions is settled, there will be no regret.
    The hundred affairs will proceed as desired.
    At first there will be anxiety, later good fortune.
    Serving the ruler and forming alliances would be especially good.
    Ho Ch’eng-T’ien °
    If taking a wife, you will obtain a beautiful woman.
    The traveler is on the road.
    The pregnant will give birth to a male.
    The ill may have seen a ghost or other abnormality, but they will not suffer.
    Official entanglements will dissipate.
    There will be good harvests from agriculture and sericulture.
    Sending the army forth on campaign, commercial enterprises, and the hundred affairs will all be auspicious and advantageous.
    Ch’en Shih-K’ai °
    The Tao of Man is just flourishing, while the two yin in the upper and lower positions respond to each other.
    Triple yang is yet by itself able to control them.
    Liu Chi °
    The upper and lower positions are both pliant, taking the middle as their ruler.
    The middle is firm and correct, unbending, what  the masses will join with.
    In this trigraph, triple yang dwells in the middle while the upper and lower are both yin. Being young yin that are not yet flourishing, they are neither obstinate nor contentious, but harmonious and inclined to unity.
    Yang is firm and flourishing; yin is unable to conquer it.
    Thus it creates the image of upper and lower both being settled.
    There is auspiciousness without balefulness.
    SAWYER °
    The trigraph’s auspiciousness derives from the presence of mature yang in the Tao of Man. Since it is unopposed by the other positions, even though they are both yin and, moreover, inappropriate to the position of Heaven, no obstacles are raised to tranquil freedom and happiness.
    The Verse expressively captures the mood with the serene image of spring light falling in the carved hall.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ****** DECLAIMERS’ NOTE
    Although readers may wish to actively explore the oracular and divination possibilities encompassed by the Ling Ch'i Ching or Tai Xuang Ching  ……

These Additional Commentaries intended to facilitate understanding and provide contemporary relevance for those who Wish to study the Oracle or consult it for the purposes of self knowledge.
    No commercial, MEDICAL, or other significant life decisions should ever be based on the Ling Ch’i Ching, or Tai Xuang Ching  even if all the prerequisites are fully satisfied.
    Assessing and determining the validity of the text, if any, is solely the responsibility of the reader. Those Wishing to consult with These FORTUNE TELLING ARTS are cautioned that, unlike the I Ching [-which almost always implies that through perseverance and pursuing the course of virtue the querent can escape even the most dire situations unscathed-] the Ling Ch’i Ching contains many inauspicious predictions, reflecting its author’s View of life and reality. While these indications should be understood symbolically and metaphysically as admonitions and warnings rather than a matter of fate, readers potentially troubled by drawing such prognostications should not consult the Ling Ch’i Ching as a divination book but instead simply read it as a historical artifact.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 04:54:39 PM by voglee »
    ----------
    Confucius

Offline ArtofFugue

• G501++
    • PRIVATE AND NON-COMMERCIAL PRACTITIONER
    • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 11:31:33 PM »
    Surprising, even in the chinese CM world, there're limited books on this method of divination. Below are all I can find:

-

-

-
    By people sharing knowledge/info publicly, the info itself does not devalue to become "common internet data which lacks credibility and needs verifying". If everyone thinks in this way, nobody would want to share anymore in order to protect the value and integrity of their knowledge.

Offline coco

• G101-G300
    • Last Login:April 12, 2018, 03:31:37 PM
    • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 12:05:54 AM »
    Surprising, even in the chinese CM world, there're limited books on this method of divination. Below are all I can find:

-

-

-

do you actually own 1 of these? You fast becoming book pics poster

five arts forum

Re: Ling Ch’i Ching 靈棋經 A Classic Chinese book of divination
    « Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 12:05:54 AM »
    Fortune-telling / birth chart reading / predict your future services by Master Tony (aka aoefengshui). Area of interest:
    Category 1: Relationship/Peach Blossom/Marriage/Spouse/Divorce.
    Category 2: Wealth/Business/Investment/Legal Problem.
    Category 3: Career Plan/Career Move/Job Promotion/Study.
    Category 4: Health/Pregnancy/Children/Accident/Disaster.
    Category 5: The Luck of next 10 years: (Master Tony will work out your luck for next 10 years in general and point out the happening years for the important events).

Note: Master Tony will provide you the reading report in writing and also one private Q&A session afterwards. Everything to be conducted conveniently and anonymously via this forum online.

More detail | About Master Tony (aka aoefengshui) | Ask question privately | Post question in Pre-sales forum | Testimonials | View sample Fortune-telling report
    Tired of advertisement on the forum? Remove advertisement on the forum now. For detail, please click here.
    Learn fortune-telling skills from Master Tony (Purple Star Astrology / 紫微斗数 / ZWDS)

Features: Online private learning | one-on-one teaching | Everything starts from zero | 24/7 access to constantly updated learning materials | Medium of instruction: English

Tags:

I Ching divination expiry date?

Started by sahdBoard Yi Jing Zhan Bu (YJZB)

Replies: 5
    Views: 137
    Last post November 23, 2020, 02:01:57 AM
    by fengshuiartist
    Consulting I Ching

Started by AdministratorBoard Just talk

Replies: 4
    Views: 161
    Last post November 18, 2020, 08:02:56 AM
    by Administrator
    wang ting zhi zwds book in chinese

Started by user108Board Zi Wei Dou Shu (ZWDS) 紫微斗数

Replies: 3
    Views: 91
    Last post November 06, 2020, 07:54:00 PM
    by sunny
    The 12 chinese Zodiac has Indian vedic origin

Started by user108Board Si Zhu Ba Zi (SZBZ) 四柱八字

Replies: 6
    Views: 131
    Last post November 08, 2020, 05:51:12 PM
    by user108
    7 elements: comparison of Chinese 5 elements with Hindu and Greek elements

Started by jiyou2020Board Miscellaneous topics

Replies: 0
    Views: 85
    Last post October 23, 2020, 10:34:52 AM
    by jiyou2020
    Casting A Hexagram for 《易經》 Yìjīng Divination - Lorraine Wilcox

Started by renBoard Art of Medicine (Healing)

Views: 201
    Last post October 20, 2020, 07:53:31 AM
    by ren
    The Tibetan Book of the Dead (西藏度亡经)

Started by ArtofFugueBoard Just talk

Replies: 1
    Views: 435
    Last post November 02, 2020, 07:08:58 PM
    by user108
    A book written by a deity but only understood by 2 europeans! 太乙金華宗旨

Started by ArtofFugueBoard Just talk

Replies: 2
    Views: 403
    Last post September 04, 2020, 10:17:19 PM
    by ArtofFugue
    Chinese language teacher

Started by Ashleytl1Board Just talk

Views: 279
    Last post July 26, 2020, 01:11:50 AM
    by Ashleytl1
    How does Covid19 affect Bazi/fortune telling/divination etc. prediction?Nullify?

Started by camomileBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 47
    Views: 2001
    Last post July 06, 2020, 04:32:54 PM
    by Bazi_Fan
    "The Classic of Changes in Cultural Context"

Started by aquaBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Views: 173
    Last post June 03, 2020, 08:52:41 PM
    by aqua
    Help to find a book online

Started by XuéshēngBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 2
    Views: 367
    Last post May 29, 2020, 05:46:15 AM
    by Xuéshēng
    What is the view of Chinese metaphysics on the subject of infertility?

Started by MichaelChuahBoard Just talk

Replies: 18
    Views: 775
    Last post May 25, 2020, 10:00:31 PM
    by ArtofFugue
    chinese zodiac lunar vs solar

Started by Johnson92Board Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 10
    Views: 858
    Last post January 27, 2020, 05:38:14 PM
    by Gmuli
    Original bazi sect in chinese video shen sha 易学洪辛 youtube channel

Started by user108Board Si Zhu Ba Zi (SZBZ) 四柱八字

Replies: 1
    Views: 503
    Last post January 22, 2020, 12:40:09 AM
    by Alvinoktav
    Chinese Health and Diet Primer

Views: 448
    Last post January 21, 2020, 01:46:48 AM
    by ren
    The New Chinese Medicine Handbook pdf

Views: 657
    Last post November 14, 2019, 02:56:25 AM
    by ren
    Ask for help about my mom case by using divination

Started by Wooden riverBoard Request for divination [FREE]

Replies: 20
    Views: 1757
    Last post March 14, 2020, 11:27:07 AM
    by Wooden river
    39 Chinese nationals found dead in a smuggling operation

Started by gentlejokerBoard Past event analyses

Views: 454
    Last post October 25, 2019, 08:31:00 PM
    by gentlejoker
    I'm Spanish. Help for divination. Thanks.

Started by thiffaBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 5
    Views: 613
    Last post October 31, 2019, 08:58:13 PM
    by thiffa
    Chinese ZWDS Books by Master Ng Choon Phong (吳俊宏)

Started by fanBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Views: 913
    Last post October 23, 2019, 10:00:39 PM
    by ArtofFugue
    Re: Divination Reading for tomorrow's meeting outcome

Started by JeremyBoard Request for divination [FREE]

Replies: 11
    Views: 847
    Last post October 24, 2019, 09:49:42 AM
    by anton8888
    I am Spanish. Help for divination. Thank you

Started by thiffaBoard Request for divination [FREE]

Replies: 4
    Views: 516
    Last post October 25, 2019, 12:47:11 AM
    by thiffa
    What are the simplest Chinese divination methods you know?

Started by AxisBoard Other Arts of Divination

Replies: 16
    Views: 3269
    Last post December 18, 2019, 12:18:51 AM
    by mushroom
    The relation of divination to the medicine of the Huangdi neijing...

Started by AxisBoard Other Arts of Divination

Views: 340
    Last post October 03, 2019, 04:36:41 PM
    by Axis
    chinese secret face reading Bone flesh and qi

Started by user108Board Art of Appearance (Visual Appraisal)

Views: 2063
    Last post October 02, 2019, 08:47:22 PM
    by user108
    1000 Divination Match & Special Event Prediction.

Started by TianQiBoard Future event predictions

Replies: 154
    Views: 12521
    Last post November 13, 2020, 04:14:09 PM
    by BillionaireboyLam
    胡一鸣 (Hu Yi Ming) 阴阳法风水学 - 堪舆精论 Book Review

Started by TianQiBoard Feng Shui

Views: 701
    Last post September 11, 2019, 10:22:08 AM
    by rotiprata
    How to do divination on a different person if he/she's not the Asker?

Started by rainmasterBoard Qi Men Dun Jia

Replies: 13
    Views: 1040
    Last post September 04, 2019, 09:33:23 AM
    by rainmaster
    QMDJ Divination basic questions

Started by rainmasterBoard Qi Men Dun Jia

Replies: 19
    Views: 2522
    Last post June 24, 2020, 11:48:06 PM
    by Xanoxt

Disclaimer:

Your use of FiveArts.Info is at your sole risk. FiveArts.Info cannot be held responsible for the inaccuracy of the readings and information provided by its members.  FiveArts.Info owners, administrators, moderators, masters, members, partners expressly disclaim all warranties of any kind whether express or implied including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

Total visits since 2014: