Aoefengshui Advanced ZDWS Course. One-on-one teaching

• Book review: I Ching Divination for Fengshui and Destiny 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: Book review: I Ching Divination for Fengshui and Destiny  (Read 2033 times)

Offline ArtofFugue

• G501++
  • Last Login:Hidden
  • PRIVATE AND NON-COMMERCIAL PRACTITIONER
    • View Profile
  • Book review: I Ching Divination for Fengshui and Destiny
    « on: January 04, 2018, 10:44:22 PM »

Some time ago I had the opportunity of stumbling across this 2003 book. Really. For a long time, I had thought Grandmaster Vincent Koh is the pioneer who wrote the first english Six Lines book (2011).

With some expectations (as I’ve already read and studied several taiwanese books), I proceed to read...

After 44 pages of the usual basics (ie; history of I Ching, 8 trigrams attributes, Plum Blossom intro, Shao Yong anecdotes, type of chinese calendar used, 12 earthly branches, 6 clashes, 6 combos), we begin the real content with learning how to draw hexagram using 3 coins. Nice to know he uses “system A” like Grandmaster Vincent Koh and several taiwanese masters.

Then he go through how to plot the hexagram chart, allocate Subject & Object lines, 6 kins and 6 animals. The “Golden Rules for I Ching Interpretation” are just the basic rules like Day branch, Month branch, 6 combos, 6 clashes.

Just when I was warmed up by the fundamentals to go further, the book ended with 13 short and brief case studies. Lucky for me, some of the case studies are really fun like guessing what birthday present his students were sending him. If I’m his student, I would send him 5 small and inexpensive items, each belonging to one of the 5 elements. Then I would let him know on an earth day (chou, chen, wei or xu). I would see how he would guess!

In my speedy reading, I managed to spot typo-errors in case study #9 “Checking Prospect of Buying a House”; Zi is stated as “earth” and Shen is stated as “water” element.

Last page is 151 but real contents ended at page 129. After page 129, it is followed by how to plot a Bazi chart and a few sample pages of chinese Hsia/farmers calendar.

Basically this is just a fundamentals book, as if someone translated the first chapter of a taiwanese Six Lines book. At this price, I would expect the author to go at least into the 4 common CM categories (ie; how to divine for Wealth, Career, Romance and Health) out of the 20+ available categories for divination which I often read in taiwanese books. This book would (in my opinion) serve as a “stepping stone” for any beginner, afterwhich one can proceed to the taiwanese books.

After 30 minutes of reading, I returned the book back on the shelf. For those interested, the ISBN number is 962-85578-2-3.

Heard there is a 2nd edition (released in 2016) but I’m not really keen after reading this 1st edition. And why do authors have to wait until 2nd edition to add more contents? I observed this trend among english CM authors. Maybe I should wait at least a decade before buying any CM english books?
    By people sharing knowledge/info publicly, the info itself does not devalue to become "common internet data which lacks credibility and needs verifying". If everyone thinks in this way, nobody would want to share anymore in order to protect the value and integrity of their knowledge.

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • G501++
    • Last Login:September 24, 2020, 05:26:21 PM
    • View Profile
  • Re: Book review: I Ching Divination for Fengshui and Destiny
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 06:32:38 AM »
    [Hidden post: You need login to forum to see it.]

Offline ArtofFugue

• G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:14:51 AM »
    « Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:18:53 AM by ArtofFugue »
    By people sharing knowledge/info publicly, the info itself does not devalue to become "common internet data which lacks credibility and needs verifying". If everyone thinks in this way, nobody would want to share anymore in order to protect the value and integrity of their knowledge.

Offline ArtofFugue

• G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 11:48:06 AM »

Offline ren

• Contributor
    • G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 03:15:12 PM »
    To Prisoners... I call for you cultivation of strength in the dark.

Offline Axis

• Contributor
    • G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 05:37:59 PM by Axis »

Offline ArtofFugue

• G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 06:14:10 PM »
    @ren : Everyone makes mistakes, even professional masters and authors too. Nobody is absolutely perfect.

Let alone, I'm a Mangpai Bazi DIY beginner, without any teaching from Mangpai Bazi master. When I translated those Six Lines articles, I was just picking up Six Lines as a DIY beginner too, without any teaching from Six Lines master.

My main point is, if I'm a beginner I can do so much without any monetary reward or profit, I hope to see professional masters and authors put more effort and content into their $30 books (with profit).

Thank you to anyone who spotted any error in my translations. I do give out karma points to forumers who spotted my errors and informed me. Except for style of translations, I prefer to translate with an element of interpretation, more away from rigid technically correct way. I don't expect everyone to prefer my style of translated text. Each to their own.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 06:17:55 PM by ArtofFugue »

Offline ArtofFugue

• G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 06:17:33 PM »

I will continue to post translations and any interesting content I encountered on chinese websites, regardless of whether anyone like or not, finds it useful or not.

Like or dislike, useful or useless is all in the eyes of the reader. Subjective. :)

edit:

To the other major half* of the forum: Continue to ignore and report the trolls and clones. These are the ones with spare accounts from rival site, coming here with intent to stir up dust and pick on fights. They even resort to cooking up untrue things. By ignoring whatever false flame baits they cook up, you save yourself alot of trouble. No need to clarify, I did a few times back in year 2017 but they totally ignored them and threw more distorted "accusations" at me. I gave up talking them so I just exercised my right to report their abusive and belligerent behaviour.

*Only a minority few of misbehaving ex-members were banned in 2017 (I only reported, it is moderating team's decision to do whatever) during the Great Mass Ban 2017, yet trolls call it "half the forum" ::) . This is one simple example how they distorted the facts. Not going to explain and clarify every single accusation trolls throw at me.
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 10:38:40 PM by ArtofFugue »

Offline BillionaireboyLam

• Wealth Bringer
    • G501++
    • 乃知世间事,不可泥纸上陈迹
    • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 10:45:08 PM »

I will continue to post translations and any interesting content I encountered on chinese websites, regardless of whether anyone like or not, finds it useful or not.

Like or dislike, useful or useless is all in the eyes of the reader. Subjective. :)

Your not the only one who is contributing to this forum.
    So what if you translated a few text. No one forced you to translate anything.

You posted all your translations out of your free will.
    So don't come here claiming you are more special than anyone else that contributed to thus forum.
    So don't think any of the forum members need to thank you for your translations.

The only reason you translate texts is for the karma and prestige.
    Which like ZWDS stars are illusionary.
    How do we know this? Because you are not humble about.
    We have translators like @existentialistalbert who translate and don't go around claiming to be "The Chosen One"

Some members might not use Google Translate as much as you, but we share our knowledge just as much if not more than you.
    We actually help real people on here by giving real free readings.
    Not 500 karma generic teases that are useless interpretations.

P.s. Bye Felicia
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:13:16 PM by BillionaireboyLam »
    强中自有强中手,一山还有一山高

Offline ren

• Contributor
    • G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 12:57:53 AM »
    To Prisoners... I call for you cultivation of strength in the dark.

Offline fengshuiartist

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 04:59:03 AM »
    That's a very poor review you doing. Using skimming as a way to review a book. That shows lack fo integrity. Not fair to author. I have the 2nd edition and have taken live training from him. That is one of the best book on divination you can find in english that teach you the full complete process. I've yet to find better books that explain i ching divination in english. As per the requirement of the book. YOu have to have foundation of bazi in order to make use of the process of i ching divination analysis. It's a complete book on i ching not just beginner as you said.  I don't see any other english books teaching proper the methods of i ching divination out there. Most of it is philosophy base.    And all the stuff you mention about diving for wealth , career, romance, etc..  It explain well how to do that.   So your review is very poor and bias.

My post isnt' to attack you. It's just like the other poster ren said.  Your projecting your view  as truth which will mislead many readers.  Since your not being objective or fair in review.  I wouldn't call skimming at bookstore a review because you don't want to buy the book to do  a fair reliable review.  It's not a book review. It's just your judgement from skimming. I don't think you know what a real book review means base on your post as the stuff you mention him leaving out, he didn't as you were skimming you miss all the important instructions that explains how to do what you say he  left out.

IF you gonna review, do it justice by proper review.
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 05:09:46 AM by fengshuiartist »

Offline fengshuiartist

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 05:48:51 AM »
    And you probably didn't know that raymond lo is one of the 5 grandmaster in the world just like vincent koh .  To make a review by skimming is just very disrespectful to a grandmaster. People highly regard him and he's not like many teachers out there. He don't hold back like you suggest about his book.   I know cuz i've taken live training from him and know him personally. I also know his only disciple that he choose to pass on his knowledge. He's a generous person.

And i'm objective cuz i care about quality of my studies. I hardly speak good about people. He's one of the few who deserve it for his contribution to the field to keep it genuine and classical without fluff that many famous authors do nowadays.

Everyone should be checking raymond lo's teaching since he's one of few accessible english teachers of chinese metaphysics.  To listen to this poor book review base on skimming would really do disservice to your learning.  He's a grandmaster for a reason.
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 06:01:33 AM by fengshuiartist »

Offline ArtofFugue

• G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 10:11:55 PM »

............ Especially when the author is so boastful about the (quality of the) material - This is the "Must Read" stuff...

十神虚透的含义 can translate to "Ten God Unstable Meaning" or the Meaning of the Ten Gods in Unstable pillars.

I am simply stating to members to beware of the quality and accuracy of some of your posts and translated work.

1. You have a negative perception of me; I wasn't being "boastful" and I never said my threads are "must read". In fact, I did mention a few times if people find my threads to be of some use, I would be glad for them. I never force anyone to read my thread or follow what I posted. Occasionally when people posted thread of some query, if I have similar or related content, I do offer by posting the link to my thread, as a consideration.

Whenever I posted links of my threads, don't accuse me of promoting my content. It's not good. Eg; Axis often posts links of puppylove's threads too, are you going to say Axis is promoting puppylove? I've also posted puppylove's posts before but nobody said I'm promoting puppylove.

2. Like I said, translated terms are subjective. I can also translate it as "Volatile" or "Transitory" or some other words. The list is endless....

3. Ever since I pointed out the misleading title and use of insulting words in your posted article (https://fivearts.info/fivearts/index.php?topic=13548.msg209642#msg209642), you've been very vocal and nitpicking on my translation work. I was simply stating to members to beware of your misleading title, lest someone take the title seriously thinking it is real cure for Wuhan virus.
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:14:57 PM by ArtofFugue »

Offline BillionaireboyLam

• Wealth Bringer
    • G501++
    • 乃知世间事,不可泥纸上陈迹
    • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 10:26:01 PM »

............ Especially when the author is so boastful about the (quality of the) material - This is the "Must Read" stuff...

十神虚透的含义 can translate to "Ten God Unstable Meaning" or the Meaning of the Ten Gods in Unstable pillars.

I am simply stating to members to beware of the quality and accuracy of some of your posts and translated work.

1. You have a negative perception of me; I wasn't being "boastful" and I never said my threads are "must read". In fact, I did mention a few times if people find my threads to be of some use, I would be glad for them. I never force anyone to read my thread or follow what I posted. Occasionally when people posted thread of some query, if I have similar or related content, I do offer by posting the link to my thread, as a consideration.

Whenever I posted links of my threads, don't accuse me of promoting my content. It's not good. Eg; Axis often posts links of puppylove's threads too, are you going to say Axis is promoting puppylove? I've also posted puppylove's posts before but nobody said I'm promoting puppylove.

2. Like I said, translated terms are subjective. I can also translate it as "Volatile" or "Transitory" or some other words. The list is endless....

3. Ever since I pointed out the misleading title and use of insulting words in your posted article (https://fivearts.info/fivearts/index.php?topic=13548.msg209642#msg209642), you've been very vocal and nitpicking on my translation work. I was simply stating to members to beware of your misleading title, lest someone take the title seriously thinking it is real cure for Wuhan virus.

Let me summarize your post it's always someone else's fault.
    强中自有强中手,一山还有一山高

Offline ArtofFugue

• G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 10:54:00 PM »
    And you probably didn't know that raymond lo is one of the 5 grandmaster in the world just like vincent koh .  To make a review by skimming is just very disrespectful to a grandmaster. People highly regard him and he's not like many teachers out there. He don't hold back like you suggest about his book.   I know cuz i've taken live training from him and know him personally. I also know his only disciple that he choose to pass on his knowledge. He's a generous person.

And i'm objective cuz i care about quality of my studies. I hardly speak good about people. He's one of the few who deserve it for his contribution to the field to keep it genuine and classical without fluff that many famous authors do nowadays.

Everyone should be checking raymond lo's teaching since he's one of few accessible english teachers of chinese metaphysics.  To listen to this poor book review base on skimming would really do disservice to your learning.  He's a grandmaster for a reason.

1. This review was done at National Library, Lee Kong Chian reference library. Not shop. As at then, this book was already sold out in shops. If library is not for reading books for free, I don't know what it is for. Well, you don't have to but it's your choice to get clarification or you can assume.

2. To you, it's so-called "disrespectful skimming". To me, it's productive speed reading through basic fundamentals which I've already studied in Taiwanese books before. So, this little book of 100+ pages is not an issue to finish reading it within 30 mins. Grandmaster Vincent Koh's book (below) is more detailed and "meaty", I took 2-3 days to study and take notes. Ben Liu's 3-book set (below bottom), I took 2 weeks.

3. My review of his book is fair and square. And this book is definitely by NO means "complete", I dare say it again. Like you too, I hardly speak good about books too. If it's good, I say it's good. If there's nothing good, I do not boot-lick or curry-flavour just because the author is so-and-so. Your good feelings is about his course and his character, but I'm reviewing his book only. You need to read carefully.

4. Even Grandmaster Vincent Koh's I Ching book is more detailed and has more content.

five arts forum

Re: Book review: I Ching Divination for Fengshui and Destiny
    « Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 10:54:00 PM »
    Fortune-telling / birth chart reading / predict your future services by Master Tony (aka aoefengshui). Area of interest:
    Category 1: Relationship/Peach Blossom/Marriage/Spouse/Divorce.
    Category 2: Wealth/Business/Investment/Legal Problem.
    Category 3: Career Plan/Career Move/Job Promotion/Study.
    Category 4: Health/Pregnancy/Children/Accident/Disaster.
    Category 5: The Luck of next 10 years: (Master Tony will work out your luck for next 10 years in general and point out the happening years for the important events).

Note: Master Tony will provide you the reading report in writing and also one private Q&A session afterwards. Everything to be conducted conveniently and anonymously via this forum online.

More detail | About Master Tony (aka aoefengshui) | Ask question privately | Post question in Pre-sales forum | Testimonials | View sample Fortune-telling report
    Tired of advertisement on the forum? Remove advertisement on the forum now. For detail, please click here.
    Learn fortune-telling skills from Master Tony (Purple Star Astrology / 紫微斗数 / ZWDS)

Features: Online private learning | one-on-one teaching | Everything starts from zero | 24/7 access to constantly updated learning materials | Medium of instruction: English

Tags:

The Tibetan Book of the Dead (西藏度亡经)

Started by ArtofFugueBoard Science, Math and ICT

Replies: 3
    Views: 190
    Last post September 10, 2020, 07:00:21 AM
    by Hellow
    A book written by a deity but only understood by 2 europeans! 太乙金華宗旨

Started by ArtofFugueBoard Science, Math and ICT

Replies: 2
    Views: 188
    Last post September 04, 2020, 10:17:19 PM
    by ArtofFugue
    bad rooftop fengshui

Started by shyapBoard Request for feng shui reading [FREE]

Replies: 13
    Views: 264
    Last post August 16, 2020, 04:57:12 PM
    by j27945
    How does Covid19 affect Bazi/fortune telling/divination etc. prediction?Nullify?

Started by camomileBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 47
    Views: 1558
    Last post July 06, 2020, 04:32:54 PM
    by Bazi_Fan
    Can someone give fengshui health tips?

Started by yushinBoard Feng Shui

Replies: 35
    Views: 1462
    Last post August 22, 2020, 09:19:08 AM
    by fengshuiartist
    Help to find a book online

Started by XuéshēngBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 2
    Views: 295
    Last post May 29, 2020, 05:46:15 AM
    by Xuéshēng
    Fengshui master killed 5 HK women with poisonous "holy water"!!!

Started by ArtofFugueBoard Feng Shui

Replies: 0
    Views: 228
    Last post May 26, 2020, 01:34:40 PM
    by ArtofFugue
    Destiny in physics

Started by mellybauBoard 4. Art of Divination (Prediction)

Views: 543
    Last post May 18, 2020, 11:19:48 AM
    by mellybau
    Integrating Bazi profile for Home Fengshui

Started by cmimaBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 7
    Views: 521
    Last post July 06, 2020, 05:36:09 PM
    by yc poon
    Tian Liang 5 in Destiny

Started by Regina0806Board Zi Wei Dou Shu (ZWDS) 紫微斗数

Replies: 1
    Views: 440
    Last post December 08, 2019, 12:58:04 PM
    by Officer89
    Ask for help about my mom case by using divination

Started by Wooden riverBoard Request for divination [FREE]

Replies: 20
    Views: 1548
    Last post March 14, 2020, 11:27:07 AM
    by Wooden river
    I'm Spanish. Help for divination. Thanks.

Started by thiffaBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 5
    Views: 544
    Last post October 31, 2019, 08:58:13 PM
    by thiffa
    Re: Divination Reading for tomorrow's meeting outcome

Started by JeremyBoard Request for divination [FREE]

Replies: 11
    Views: 761
    Last post October 24, 2019, 09:49:42 AM
    by anton8888
    I am Spanish. Help for divination. Thank you

Started by thiffaBoard Request for divination [FREE]

Replies: 4
    Views: 457
    Last post October 25, 2019, 12:47:11 AM
    by thiffa
    Can we change someone's destiny?

Started by namle.16Board Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 29
    Views: 1577
    Last post August 28, 2020, 01:03:46 PM
    by fengshuiartist
    What are the simplest Chinese divination methods you know?

Started by AxisBoard Other Arts of Divination

Replies: 16
    Views: 3079
    Last post December 18, 2019, 12:18:51 AM
    by mushroom
    The relation of divination to the medicine of the Huangdi neijing...

Started by AxisBoard Other Arts of Divination

Views: 295
    Last post October 03, 2019, 04:36:41 PM
    by Axis
    1000 Divination Match & Special Event Prediction.

Started by TianQiBoard Let Me Guess (future events)

Replies: 151
    Views: 11090
    Last post September 19, 2020, 06:19:38 AM
    by BillionaireboyLam
    胡一鸣 (Hu Yi Ming) 阴阳法风水学 - 堪舆精论 Book Review

Started by TianQiBoard Feng Shui

Replies: 3
    Views: 616
    Last post September 11, 2019, 10:22:08 AM
    by rotiprata
    How to do divination on a different person if he/she's not the Asker?

Started by rainmasterBoard Qi Men Dun Jia

Replies: 13
    Views: 954
    Last post September 04, 2019, 09:33:23 AM
    by rainmaster
    A Comparison of two similar Charts Destiny Quiz.

Started by BillionaireboyLamBoard Let Me Guess (future events)

Replies: 102
    Views: 5071
    Last post September 14, 2020, 08:44:00 AM
    by BillionaireboyLam
    Anyone has experiences with QMDJ Guardians of Destiny?

Replies: 19
    Views: 2788
    Last post October 18, 2019, 05:57:24 PM
    by j27945
    QMDJ Divination basic questions

Replies: 19
    Views: 2233
    Last post June 24, 2020, 11:48:06 PM
    by Xanoxt
    job interview: divination

Started by kasparBoard Request for divination [FREE]

Replies: 1
    Views: 445
    Last post July 22, 2019, 06:18:19 PM
    by kaspar
    The Lin Family: Destiny and Feng Shui

Started by SaphoraBoard Miscellaneous casual talks

Replies: 4
    Views: 773
    Last post July 18, 2019, 04:43:26 PM
    by sLuToSUN
    Dog Killed Man: Feng Shui vs Destiny

Started by SaphoraBoard Miscellaneous casual talks

Replies: 8
    Views: 712
    Last post July 22, 2019, 05:56:59 PM
    by antiserif
    Request for chart reading and divination

Started by idashaBoard Request for divination [FREE]

Views: 503
    Last post July 09, 2019, 04:31:18 PM
    by idasha
    Help with divination

Started by kasparBoard Request for divination [FREE]

Views: 372
    Last post May 21, 2019, 03:29:06 PM
    by kaspar
    Master Tsai Five Pillars of Destiny

Started by JoeyBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 9
    Views: 1494
    Last post May 13, 2019, 03:16:40 PM
    by Jewel
    Liu Yao divination for relationship

Started by elrosBoard Request for divination [FREE]

Replies: 6
    Views: 972
    Last post May 01, 2019, 06:46:30 AM
    by elros

Disclaimer:

Your use of FiveArts.Info is at your sole risk. FiveArts.Info cannot be held responsible for the inaccuracy of the readings and information provided by its members.  FiveArts.Info owners, administrators, moderators, masters, members, partners expressly disclaim all warranties of any kind whether express or implied including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

Total visits since 2014: