• Book review: YM Lim's trilogy - Empyrean Matrix, Prosperity Sigma, Hidden Laws 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: Book review: YM Lim's trilogy - Empyrean Matrix, Prosperity Sigma, Hidden Laws  (Read 2179 times)

Offline ArtofFugue

• Contributor
  • G501++
  • Last Login:Hidden
  • PRIVATE AND NON-COMMERCIAL PRACTITIONER
    • View Profile
  • [First posted in 2014, in WOFS forum. Reposted here]

1st Book - The Empyrean Matrix; A Guide to Purple Star Astrology (Zi Wei Dou Shu)
    Author: Y. M. Lim

Of all the ZWDS English books I’ve read so far, this basic ZWDS book is the most detailed. Let’s talk about plus points of this book first. It has introduced to readers various common “Ge Ju” chart categories (or “chart formations” as translated in the book). Very informative and detailed. It also taught readers to manually plot a chart instead of asking us to refer to some CD-rom. Very detailed description and information on the main 36 stars of level Jia (1st level) and also information on the other minor stars from other levels. Finally an english ZWDS book that touches on minor stars!

The minus points of this book now. First the errors as mentioned in this thread --> http://fivearts.info/fivearts/index.php?topic=16696.0) Then it includes a lot of history and background information of ZWDS. Some readers may find this nice but my opinion is I can read those history on ZWDS blogs and websites I don’t need this in a book. Those information are nice-to-know but not vital in reading a chart. The last part of the book touches on some alien theory which I find weird.

Overall, the best English book on Purple Star Astrology, currently, though still a basic book but very detailed. I hope further volumes of this book would touch on the advance Flying Star part of ZWDS. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn this art. This book has refuted indirectly Wyson Chan’s (another basic but very brief ZWDS English book author) claim that basic book have to be brief to build foundation. Basic books can also be very detailed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Book - The Prosperity Sigma: Wealth and Success with Purple Star Astrology (Zi Wei Dou Shu)
    Author: Y. M. Lim

The 2nd book from Y M Lim, The Prosperity Sigma, takes the reader further and deeper into Purple Star Astrology. In the book, the author described it being suitable for beginners and advance readers who already have some foundation in this art. But I think completely new beginners would be very confused, and this book is more suitable for readers who already have some knowledge of Purple Star Astrology. Finally, we have another advance ZWDS English book with detailed information without having the readers to sign up for some expensive course.

First of all, very detailed explanations of the concepts and interpretations, I do not feel like I’m reading brief lecture notes quickly scribbled down, like in some books... The contents are very well-thought and well-penned out.

Second, the author actually made a tremendous effort to go through with the readers, the main types of destiny by the 14 major stars in the 12 Emperor’s charts. And in each Emperor chart, the author gives detailed analysis of the wealth potential, suitable jobs and investment strategies of each Life palace’s position at each square, including “empty palaces”. This is the main core content, taking up almost half the book.

Third, though the author stated his school of ZWDS is mainly san he (tri-harmony school), he did nevertheless included a si hua (flying stars school) method to deduct whether someone has “affinity with wealth”.

Fourth, a nice touch by the author is that he showed readers what to do when encountering multiples of the four flying transforming stars (si hua) from main chart, decade chart and current year chart, by examining the elements of the flying stars. But I read in another ZWDS Chinese book that whether the flying stars are from main/decade/annual charts also makes a difference in the interpretation. Like for example, Hua Lu from Decade meet Hua Quan from Annual in the same palace has a different interpretation from Hua Lu from Annual meet Hua Quan from Decade. I thought it would be clearer if the author can make further distinction on this; in the book, it was simply stated "good prospect for fame and fortune..." when Hua Lu and Hua Quan meet in same palace.

Fifth, as a nice closing conclusion to the wealth theme of this book, the author actually disclosed to readers on how to “beat the Purple Star system” as part of cures and remedies for poor wealth luck periods. It seems like a metaphysical book on wealth also can’t get away with non-metaphysical concepts like appreciating and depreciating assets. Before I came to this chapter, I was actually expecting some fengshui rituals and methods like “wealth vase”.

Overall, it is still one of the better, more-detailed and advance level books (in English) on Purple Star Astrology.

*Note: Happened to spot this small mistake on pg 84, 2nd paragraph, 1st line. "Natives with Tian Tong at Life palaces at Mao or Xu..." It's supposed to be Mao or You, according to the context of the chart formation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd book - The Hidden Laws – Practical Techniques of Flying Star Zi Wei Dou Shu
    by Y. M. Lim

First of all, I’ve to inform everyone, this is not a basic ZWDS book. It is an advance book. Beginners and people who are new to metaphysics are not recommended to jump into this book straight away.

In the early pages of the book, we looked at nice-to-know background/history of metaphysics, revisited the core meanings behind the stars and general star formations (ie; chart categories which I call them) and refreshed on fundamental concepts and jargons. Some readers may call these “appetizers”, but there are some information/concept which readers need to know before embarking on the Flying Stars.

At about 40% into the book, we start the “main dish” of the book – the Four Flying Transforming/Catalyst stars. The author takes effort and pain to illustrate the fundamental flying concepts and terms which most chinese ZWDS authors would not bother. One thing good is the level of details and completeness– most chinese authors would not talk about the effects of self-enhancing palaces (zi hua lu/quan/ke), they would only talk about the self-persecuting palaces (zi hua ji), Y M Lim talks about all 4 of those. However, I find the real life applications part to be short (pg 108 – 111), too short. Would there be a fourth book on flying star ZWDS purely on real life applications, without those fundamentals?

A few of the concepts (like pg 62) are different from what I had learnt and practiced, also as mentioned by the author that those concepts are not in line with the general school of thought. Hence I’m going to skip those.

In the star chart plotting section, for Fire chart 30th lunar day, the author still stated it as “Wei”. I’ve no further comments on this. After my “mini research” on this which stated “Wu” in all my sources, I’ve concluded this issue as difference in sect’s methodology OR a typo error made in the olden days, when ZWDS were learnt by verbal means.

The author concludes the book with a few important case studies and a reflective assay on Hua Ji which I enjoyed reading.

Lastly, this is a minor issue but I still like to comment. Those “classic” (ie; old) Chinese ZWDS books from Taiwan are all words; at most a few star charts, diagrams and tables for purpose of easier understanding. ZWDS is really a dry subject, plus reading through the endless walls of text is tiring and straining for the eyes, not to mention depleting billions of brain cells to grasp the complex concepts sometimes. Most English authors including Lilian Too, Joey Yap, Vincent Koh have included pictures, formatted text and cartoons to liven up their books. Here, I appreciate Mr Lim’s inclusion of coloured text and pictures which offer some relief, “eye candy” and “surprise” (pg 33) while reading. I was worried he might take the “classic approach” in his advance books for a more serious tone but I’m glad he did not. Finally, I share the same views as some readers; I don’t mind carrying a thicker, heavier or bigger dimensions (A4 size) book but could the font size be slightly bigger?
    « Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:35:12 AM by ArtofFugue »
    By people sharing knowledge/info publicly, the info itself does not devalue to become "common internet data which lacks credibility and needs verifying". If everyone thinks in this way, nobody would want to share anymore in order to protect the value and integrity of their knowledge.

Offline coco

• G101-G300
    • Last Login:April 12, 2018, 03:31:37 PM
    • View Profile
  • not recommended. many typos and errors.

Online wellhandy

• G101-G300
    • Last Login:Today at 12:40:30 PM
    • View Profile
  • i have gotten these books since i'm a beginner. i understand there are many typos and errors.
    will appreciate it if mr lim comes up with an errata.
    please quote me when want me to respond.
    when requesting bazi reading,
    please attach your bazi chart as jpg format using http://bazi.masteryacademy.com/ or
    https://bazi-calculator.com

Chinese metaphysics does not dictate your future.
    You are still responsible for your own Life.

Offline Axis

• Contributor
    • G501++
      • View Profile
    [Hidden post: You need login to forum to see it.]
    « Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:01:47 PM by Axis »

Offline coco

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
  • maximum detail

I found your maximum detail remark way exaggerating.

This book > The Prosperity Sigma: Wealth and Success with Purple Star Astrology (Zi Wei Dou Shu)
    particularly disappointing. Only looking at the palace static-ly and starts doing prediction. No better than looking at bazi day pillar only and starts doing prediction

This book>  The Empyrean Matrix; A Guide to Purple Star Astrology (Zi Wei Dou Shu)
    utterly failed in explaining how to do yearly, monthly and daily readings. No mention whatsoever regarding to minor stars interaction

Offline Axis

• Contributor
    • G501++
      • View Profile
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:01:04 AM by Axis »

Offline Axis

• Contributor
    • G501++
      • View Profile
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:02:06 AM by Axis »

Online wellhandy

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
  • Wow thank you guys your comments will really help when I receive the books and go through.  :)
    please attach your bazi chart as jpg format using http://bazi.masteryacademy.com/ or

Offline coco

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
  • [Hidden post: You need 2 posts to see it. You currently have 0. Join the paid subscription and see this hidden post now.]

Offline Axis

• Contributor
    • G501++
      • View Profile
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:50:22 PM by Axis »

Offline coco

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
  • [Hidden post: You need login to forum to see it.]

Offline guhai

• G501++
    • Last Login:February 06, 2019, 01:40:45 AM
    • View Profile
  • [Hidden post: You need 2 karma to see it. You currently have 0. Join the paid subscription and see this hidden post now.]
    Dimension beyond the mind, Knowledge beyond horizon,
    Secret beyond imagination, Meditation is the door.

~古孩 (Gŭ Hái)~

Offline coco

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
  • [Hidden post: You need 2 karma to see it. You currently have 0. Join the paid subscription and see this hidden post now.]

Online wellhandy

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
  • i have received all 3 books and started reading.
    as expected, as with any new subject matter, I can't make heads or tails of it yet.
    lol

step by step bah

Online Gmuli

• Deian
    • G501++
    • Last Login:Today at 04:45:57 PM
    • https://bright-hall.net
    • View Profile
    • Bright Hall. net
  • I think there is good info in this books.  Also a lot more affordable then some of the other ones out there. Good stuff, overall.

five arts forum

Fortune-telling / birth chart reading / predict your future services by Master Tony (aka aoefengshui). Area of interest:
    Category 1: Relationship/Peach Blossom/Marriage/Spouse/Divorce.
    Category 2: Wealth/Business/Investment/Legal Problem.
    Category 3: Career Plan/Career Move/Job Promotion/Study.
    Category 4: Health/Pregnancy/Children/Accident/Disaster.
    Category 5: The Luck of next 10 years: (Master Tony will work out your luck for next 10 years in general and point out the happening years for the important events).
    Category 6: The Luck of next 12 months: (Master Tony will work out your luck for next 12 months in general and point out the happening months for the important events.)
    Category 7: Your own Category which didn’t mention above.

Note: Master Tony will provide you the reading report in writing and also one private Q&A session afterwards. Everything to be conducted conveniently and anonymously via this forum online.

More detail | About Master Tony (aka aoefengshui) | Ask question privately | Post question in Pre-sales forum | Testimonials | View sample Fortune-telling report
    Tired of advertisement on the forum? Remove advertisement on the forum now. For detail, please click here.
    Learn fortune-telling skills from Master Tony (Purple Star Astrology / 紫微斗数 / ZWDS)

Features: Online private learning | one-on-one teaching | Everything starts from zero | 24/7 access to constantly updated learning materials | Medium of instruction: English
    Bazi reading service:
    Click here to view detail | Real Bazi reading reports (coming soon)

Tags:

胡一鸣 (Hu Yi Ming) 阴阳法风水学 - 堪舆精论 Book Review

Started by TianQiBoard Feng Shui

Replies: 3
    Views: 200
    Last post September 11, 2019, 10:22:08 AM
    by rotiprata
    奇门遁甲 铁书生 BOOK REVIEW

Started by TianQiBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 1
    Views: 329
    Last post March 25, 2019, 11:36:20 PM
    by TianQi
    PLEASE HELP read my bazi of prosperity and marriage.

Started by QuinrajwaBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 3
    Views: 443
    Last post January 02, 2019, 02:44:12 AM
    by senators613
    Book review: One Astrology book for health

Started by ArtofFugueBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 6
    Views: 817
    Last post October 07, 2018, 11:18:23 AM
    by ArtofFugue
    The Book of Lieh-tzu a Classic of the Tao

Started by AxisBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 2
    Views: 416
    Last post August 30, 2019, 11:02:48 AM
    by sopa
    which the first book ( of Joey Yap ) should I read to start Qimen ?

Started by YeenzBoard Qi Men Dun Jia

Replies: 29
    Views: 2551
    Last post October 05, 2018, 12:51:35 PM
    by mouz
    hIDDEN LETTERS-VERY ADVANCED

Started by socratesBoard Si Zhu Ba Zi (SZBZ) 四柱八字

Replies: 4
    Views: 584
    Last post August 04, 2018, 06:08:37 PM
    by socrates
    How to access Online Book Club

Started by AdministratorBoard Online Book Club

Views: 868
    Last post September 04, 2018, 11:56:16 AM
    by Gene79
    Hidden direct officer. Usable or not?

Started by ArstevanBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Views: 733
    Last post June 26, 2018, 12:15:51 AM
    by j27945
    Blessed with good life-hidden jade in rock

Started by socratesBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 0
    Views: 540
    Last post June 05, 2018, 01:27:39 AM
    by socrates
    qmdj book

Started by socratesBoard Qi Men Dun Jia

Replies: 10
    Views: 1491
    Last post November 09, 2019, 12:53:40 PM
    by annutara
    [WTB] Empyrean Matrix, Prosperity Sigma, Hidden Laws by YM Lim

Started by JeremyBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Views: 465
    Last post May 12, 2018, 09:04:37 PM
    by Jeremy
    Hidden Stems

Started by rotiprataBoard Si Zhu Ba Zi (SZBZ) 四柱八字

Views: 526
    Last post April 11, 2018, 01:01:33 PM
    by rotiprata
    Book review: Dou Shu Shi Er Gong Zi Teng Xin Jie (chinese ZWDS Compendium)

Replies: 45
    Views: 4258
    Last post October 28, 2018, 09:16:34 PM
    by ArtofFugue
    Qmdj book list

Started by guhaiBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 24
    Views: 2579
    Last post July 22, 2018, 03:42:31 AM
    by guhai
    Book review: Tu Jie Ling Qi Jing (Chess Oracle)

Views: 629
    Last post April 04, 2018, 09:58:28 PM
    by coco
    Codes from heaven (zwds book)

Started by cocoBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Views: 861
    Last post June 08, 2018, 09:34:15 PM
    by annutara
    Book review: Secrets of the Purple Star Astrology

Views: 948
    Last post April 03, 2018, 09:30:14 PM
    by coco
    Book review: Emperor's Stargate book 2

Views: 509
    Last post April 03, 2018, 09:39:40 PM
    by coco
    Book review: Zi Wei Numerology books (Book 1 and 2)

Views: 672
    Last post April 03, 2018, 10:52:34 AM
    by ArtofFugue
    TRADE SECRET ZWDS BOOK published! 斗數十二宮紫藤心解(專業版)

Views: 1154
    Last post September 02, 2019, 09:28:04 PM
    by ArtofFugue
    Li Xuzhong Life book

Views: 817
    Last post June 09, 2018, 05:06:24 AM
    by Xuéshēng
    Very hard to swallow ZWDS book: 飛星紫微斗數『道藏飛祕』的邏輯與功法

Views: 897
    Last post March 31, 2018, 10:48:33 PM
    by coco
    Hidden spirit is amazing! (What was absent in chart is REAL treasure!!)

Started by ArtofFugueBoard Blindman School (Mangpai Bazi)

Replies: 17
    Views: 2798
    Last post June 12, 2019, 08:09:01 PM
    by nin99
    [Mangpai book] Duan Jianye Mangpai Destiny 段建业 盲派命理

Started by blindman bazi researchBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 21
    Views: 3296
    Last post June 02, 2018, 10:09:17 AM
    by ArtofFugue
    Book review: Astronomical Planetary Basis of the Stars of ZWDS Astrology

Replies: 25
    Views: 3099
    Last post October 06, 2019, 02:02:58 AM
    by Axis
    New E-book on Amazon - Super I-Ching: The most accurate and extensive I-Ching...

Started by renBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 39
    Views: 3446
    Last post September 15, 2019, 06:28:54 PM
    by Sacrar
    Blindmen 4P book

Started by AxisBoard Blindman School (Mangpai Bazi)

Views: 745
    Last post January 14, 2018, 08:29:45 PM
    by Axis
    Book review: Heaven Instillation Treasure

Replies: 43
    Views: 4372
    Last post April 03, 2018, 04:11:48 PM
    by coco
    Book review: The Complete Guide to Chinese Astrology

Replies: 43
    Views: 3255
    Last post January 11, 2018, 06:08:30 PM
    by Axis

Disclaimer:

Your use of FiveArts.Info is at your sole risk. FiveArts.Info cannot be held responsible for the inaccuracy of the readings and information provided by its members.  FiveArts.Info owners, administrators, moderators, masters, members, partners expressly disclaim all warranties of any kind whether express or implied including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

Total visits since 2014: