Author Topic: Gmuli Solar Calendar Class  (Read 1578 times)

Online Gmuli

• G501++
  • Last Login:Today at 06:44:39 PM
    • View Profile
  • Gmuli Solar Calendar Class
    « on: June 02, 2018, 06:15:56 PM »
    Here is the Solar Calendar Class from Gmuli Bazi and WWG app. The code is for VB Net.
    Translating it to some other language will depend on what language we want to use it on.

As I'm not using the usual structure for most of the class(instead of using Get/Set for most of it, it is assigning it as array) - will also post how it is used in the other end.

At the other end we should end up with this variables:
    YearStemNumber - Integer number for the year stem(1 would be Jia, 10 would be Gui)
    YearBranchNumber - Integer number for the year branch(1 would be Zi, 12 would be Hai)
    MonthStemNumber - Integer number for the month stem(1 would be Jia, 10 would be Gui)
    MonthBranchNumber - Integer number for the month branch(1 would be Zi, 12 would be Hai)
    DayStemNumber - Integer number for the day stem(1 would be Jia, 10 would be Gui)
    DayBranchNumber - Integer number for the day branch(1 would be Zi, 12 would be Hai)
    HourStemNumber - Integer number for the hour stem(1 would be Jia, 10 would be Gui)
    HourBranchNumber - Integer number for the hour branch(1 would be Zi, 12 would be Hai)
    NextMonthDate - Date when the next month starts(variable type Date)
    PreviousMonthDate - Date when the previous month ended(variable type Date)
    DaystoEndofMonth - Integer number of Days until the end of Month
    Daysfromstartofmonth - Integer number of Days from start of Month

Basically what the class does first is checks a date.
    If that date is before #9/8/1912# or after #2/4/2051# it assigns the generic month change dates(meaning any year before or after this will see 4.February as start of Yin month.

If that date is in the middle of them it uses a big array(Transitionmonths) to check what day this month starts from and what day it does end.
    The dates are from 10,000 years calendar.
    If someone wants higher accuracy can add hours in the same variables and that should work right away as well.

The rest it sets year as 1/1/1. Then since the years and days are continues flow we just compare to that year to find how many days and years have passed. Then we divide by 10 for stems and 12 for branches and we add some values to compensate the fact that it wasn't Jia / Zi day and year on that date.

And that would give working Stem/Branches for Day/Year for any date from 1/1/1 to as long as the calendar is used in theory. Doesn't account for any changes of the calendar and considering the controls people won't be able to add dates below 1800(or somewhere around there). But the class allows it, so if you manually make calendar selector this will allow a lot wider span of dates possible. However the date the month changes will still be generic after 2051 and before 1912. If you want to fix that and add more dates just add more values in the transitionmonths array and fix the if on line 183.

For the hour and month stem - they are made by formulas based on Year and Day stem. While branches we get from the date. Can see the formulas in the class itself.
    The hour in my apps is usually assigned using different control(one is for date one for hour). So it uses different function here too. If you use the same control, same changes may be needed, I can post if you can't make yourself.

So how to use.
    In your app you add the class.

At definition(at top of the app for me) we add this
    Dim ChCal As ChineseSolarCalendarClass
        Dim BaZi As Integer()
    Dim YearStemNumber,YearBranchNumber,MonthStemNumber,MonthBranchNumber,DayStemNumber,DayBranchNumber,DaystoEndofMonth,Daysfromstartofmonth  as Integer
    Dim NextMonthDate,PreviousMonthDate as Date

In the app itself class is assigned like this:
              ChCal = New ChineseSolarCalendarClass

BaZi = ChCal.AssignDatetoStemsandBranches(DateTimePicker1.Value)

YearStemNumber = BaZi(0)

YearBranchNumber = BaZi(1)

MonthStemNumber = BaZi(2)
                MonthBranchNumber = BaZi(3)
                DayStemNumber = BaZi(4)
                DayBranchNumber = BaZi(5)
                NextMonthDate = ChCal.GetEndofMonthDate
                PreviousMonthDate = ChCal.GetStartofMonthDate
                DaystoEndofMonth = DateDiff(DateInterval.Day, DateTimePicker1.Value, NextMonthDate)

Daysfromstartofmonth = DateDiff(DateInterval.Day, DateTimePicker1.Value, PreviousMonthDate)

This line:
                BaZi = ChCal.AssignDatetoStemsandBranches(DateTimePicker1.Value)

Assumes your date is in control called DateTimePicker1.Value
    If it isn't just pass it wherever the date is. Same for the hour and DateTimePicker2
    'For the hour
       BaZi = ChCal.AssignHourtoStemsAndBranches(DateTimePicker2.Value, DayStemNumber)

HourStemNumber = BaZi(0)
        HourBranchNumber = BaZi(1)

As I have my own way for coding some stuff somethings may be unclear. Feel free to ask questions. : )

P.S. This is for the Solar Class the apps use. The one with Sun Longitude works in a very different way and it uses libraries for position of the planets(the one that shows Solar Terms and Sun Longitude. Can explain about that one too if you need.

P.S.S. If someone think this isn't the best way to do it, feel free to not use it. ; )

Gmuli Chinese Solar Calendar Class view:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/14z831g55mmc4g5/ChineseSolarCalendarClass.vb?dl=0

Gmuli Chinese Solar Calendar Class Download Directly:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/14z831g55mmc4g5/ChineseSolarCalendarClass.vb?dl=1
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:20:02 PM by Gmuli »

Offline annutara

• G51-G100
    • Last Login:May 30, 2019, 09:35:18 PM
      • View Profile
    Re: Gmuli Solar Calendar Class
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 07:11:48 PM »
    So the transition dates are all manually entered/transcribed from the 10000 calendar into a transition month table?

ah yes, I saw it in the code, a table of transition months. Why is there a restriction between 1912 to 2051?
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:17:51 PM by annutara »

Online Gmuli

• G501++
    • View Profile
  • Re: Gmuli Solar Calendar Class
    « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 07:51:49 PM »
    So the transition dates are all manually entered/transcribed from the 10000 calendar into a transition month table?

ah yes, I saw it in the code, a table of transition months. Why is there a restriction between 1912 to 2051?

That was what the calendar had(1910 - 2050 or something like that) .
    So anything before 1912 will use general day the month changes. Same for after 2051.
    And if you want it expanded just add more values into the array and adjust the 2 ifs.

Same if you want to add hour of transition - just add the hours in the variables. 

There are other reasons why I haven't put a lot of effort for month change dates before 1912 however...
    All western countries have a switch from Julian to Gregorian calendar at some point after 16th century and in my country that was 1916(was moving forward with 13 days),  the further back we go the higher chance there would be we will end up on that cap in the specific place. So it seems fair around 1912 to leave it to generic, as people born before that may need many more adjustments then just the day the month starts.

Offline Baretta

• G101-G300
    • Last Login:Hidden
    • View Profile
    • Baretta soft
    « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 09:10:36 PM »
    [Hidden post: You need login to forum to see it.]

Offline annutara

• G51-G100
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 09:16:35 PM »
    [Hidden post: You need login to forum to see it.]

Hi @Gmuli  nice share.
    But if we want build solar calender complete with jie qi point. How to add it...
    Or maybe you have manual formula to calculated jie qi without input data or make database 10000 years calender
    Thanks

Ah yes I was just about to ask the same question. Did you use the sun position to calculate the jie qi point so that we can use that to figure out the starting date for the decade pillar? How did you establish the number of days to the start of the next jie qi.

Online Gmuli

• G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 09:47:09 PM »
    @annutara :Formulas I'm using are calculating Luck Pillars on the days to end and start of the Month.
    That is why there are variables for them as well and why I haven't added the middle Solar Term each month.

If we want it to calculate middle Solar Term, there are things that could be done. In theory if we subtract 15 days from the month days value it will be very similar to where the middle solar term would be, however as I never needed it for calculations haven't done it and of course it wouldn't be accurate.
    Another approach could be to use Suns position, it already shows the Solar Terms based on that, it would be easy to make it show month branch based on the variable that shows the Solar Term. But that needs entirely different class with calculations for Sun position more info on that below.

The Sun position and the longitude for Solar Terms aren't used in the apps calculations, its just showing them.

@Baretta: For that either we will need to add them manually or use Sun position.
    Every solar term is 15 degrees of Suns longitude.

The app right now calculated the longitude in what is called "mean" way. That means center of the Earth compared to center of the Sun, and the real distance between them. As this is the most clear math way to do it.

Most calculators will use "apparent" way. That means the way Sun will seem from our position on Earth. Problem with that is it would need a lot more data, for example input of elevation of the land we are on and a lot of other variables that most people wouldn't know. That means the calculators will average it and that could be a lot worse then using mean value.
    Overall depending how accurate we want it it can become very complicated, to the point where most people wouldn't be able to input the data needed for calculations.

So again it is up to how accurate we want it to be and in what way we want it to calculate. I don't have many examples of people born exactly at a time Solar Term would change, so it is difficult to test what approach would be best.
    Considering that I just added calendar values for the 8 pillars, with it just showing the Solar Term and Sun longitude in "mean" way, as this is mathematically clearer.
    I can post how to make the Sun Longitude and Solar Terms part work if you need. However again - that may give slightly different values then other sources around as they will use the way it looks, not the way it is(difference can vary from a few minutes to hours).

Offline Baretta

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
    • Baretta soft
    « Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 11:20:12 PM »
    @Gmuli  okey thanks. I understand now.
    The conslution if we need adjust chart with precision jieqi point better we input database manually
    Right? Input database when jieqi point change copy from manual 10000 year calender

That mean we can only make software until 2100
    Because after 2100 we dont have any 10000 years calendar.

Online Gmuli

• G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 12:03:58 AM »
    @Gmuli  okey thanks. I understand now.
    The conslution if we need adjust chart with precision jieqi point better we input database manually
    Right? Input database when jieqi point change copy from manual 10000 year calender

That mean we can only make software until 2100
    Because after 2100 we dont have any 10000 years calendar.

Short answer - Sun position is better. However it often won't be needed and it will be difficult to be sure you are adding it in the best possible way. Using calendars however just means you let the person making the calendar decide what way to use it.

Long answer.
    Sun position is better. Since all calendars would be using Sun position as well(that is the way to calculate when Solar Terms start and end after all).
    Had plans to make big array of Solar Terms for a few hundred years and replace the array already in the app.
    At the end decided I would prefer to have one way of calculating by the calendars people can find in bookstores, another by math principles and Sun position.
    Just up to preference. But logically Sun position should be better as that is what calendars are based on for the Solar Calendar.

If you want I can explain how to make Sun longitude app that uses same libraries NASA uses for predicting Solstices. That is what we use in the app as well.
    In theory it should be the best choice. However in practice that high accuracy just isn't needed in my view.

For a few reasons.
    One would be that even if we get the exact Sun longitude to +-1 second, to be able to use that we need adjustment for True Solar Time. And for that the algorithms that are considered most accurate are proprietary and they need so much extra information it just isn't suitable for bazi app.

Here is website that uses that algoritms SPA(its government site, in there is the source code as well, it is on C if I remember correctly):
    https://midcdmz.nrel.gov/solpos/spa.html

So overall - I think no one can deny that best way is Sun position. That is what is used to make calendars as well.
    However as we will rarely need that kind of accuracy calendar array seems good enough.
    For now, at least.

But if someone needs I can explain how to use the libraries for planetary position to get Sun longitude. It will be mean one, as I never checked the corrections needed to make it apparent as it seemed I would just make it less accurate.

Don't expect to understand anything, however. The planetary position functions are just very huge arrays of numbers, so we are using them blindly somewhat. There is some book with explanation why and how, as far as I'm aware, but as I haven't read it I'm not sure how it works.

Offline annutara

• G51-G100
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 03:23:17 AM »
    Was there a reason why the reference date you used in your code was 1 jan 0001, rather than using something like 1900?

I was wondering about it because the chinese calendars so far back would have been quite different before they were revised during the Qing Dynasty with the contributions of the Jesuits in court.

Online Gmuli

• G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 03:42:07 AM »
    Was there a reason why the reference date you used in your code was 1 jan 0001, rather than using something like 1900?

I was wondering about it because the chinese calendars so far back would have been quite different before they were revised during the Qing Dynasty with the contributions of the Jesuits in court.

It used to be 1916... But I figured out that is a really bad idea, and just pushed it as far back as the language will allow.

In practice the calendar controls in Vb Net(and I'm assuming default one for Win OS) can't go beyond 1/1/1753.
    However the variables(Date) can hold as far as 1/1/1, so I just aimed for the most far out date I could.
    In most apps we can't go further back then that unless we allow input manually anyway.
    But then DateDiff won't work normally, so we will need to rewrite it manually as well and overall it becomes very complicated for something as unreliable as a date few thousand years ago.

I like to think the solar calendar is just uninterrupted flow of 60 Jia/Zi cycles...
    I get there were changes, but as I don't know enough about them I haven't implemented any. I do know the changes in Gregorian(switch Julian>Gregorian), but can't implement that either, as the dates are different in each country and we don't have selecting country implemented as well.

Overall the more back we go the more unreliable the whole thing becomes. Just the way it is I guess...
    But 1/1/1 is just the lowest possible value Date variable could hold. : )

The way the app works right now we have a few limits.

Offline annutara

• G51-G100
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 03:55:20 AM »
    I'm basically reimplementing your calendar class in c# as I am a lot more familiar with the syntax. Will clarify as I see more things requiring clarification.

Online Gmuli

• G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 04:13:40 AM »
    I'm basically reimplementing your calendar class in c# as I am a lot more familiar with the syntax. Will clarify as I see more things requiring clarification.

ok : )

Offline Baretta

• G101-G300
    • View Profile
    • Baretta soft
    « Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »

Thanks @Gmuli for ur answer.
    Maybe if calculated manually sun positition will be complicated. And not efficient to make 5arts app

But thanks a lot of

Offline annutara

• G51-G100
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 02:59:32 PM »
    I think it is still useful to have the sun position solar calendar feature, and would be interested in implementing it when I get the basic reimplementation working first.

I'm thinking about how we can use an API call to google map and do a drop pin to extract the latitude and longitude automatically for input.

Online Gmuli

• G501++
    • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 06:07:21 PM »
     @Baretta: its not exactly difficult, just following instructions mostly.
    @annutara : Will post what I'm using and some links to help getting started.

Here is link with the info that may be needed to get it working.
    http://fivearts.info/fivearts/index.php?topic=16980.msg180214#msg180214
    : )

five arts forum

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 06:07:21 PM »
    Fortune-telling / birth chart reading / predict your future services by Master Tony (aka aoefengshui). Area of interest:
    Category 1: Relationship/Peach Blossom/Marriage/Spouse/Divorce.
    Category 2: Wealth/Business/Investment/Legal Problem.
    Category 3: Career Plan/Career Move/Job Promotion/Study.
    Category 4: Health/Pregnancy/Children/Accident/Disaster.
    Category 5: The Luck of next 10 years: (Master Tony will work out your luck for next 10 years in general and point out the happening years for the important events).
    Category 6: The Luck of next 12 months: (Master Tony will work out your luck for next 12 months in general and point out the happening months for the important events.)
    Category 7: Your own Category which didn’t mention above.

Note: Master Tony will provide you the reading report in writing and also one private Q&A session afterwards. Everything to be conducted conveniently and anonymously via this forum online.

More detail | About Master Tony (aka aoefengshui) | Ask question privately | Post question in Pre-sales forum | Testimonials | View sample Fortune-telling report
    Tired of advertisement on the forum? Remove advertisement on the forum now. For detail, please click here.
    Learn fortune-telling skills from Master Tony (Purple Star Astrology / 紫微斗数 / ZWDS)

Features: Online private learning | one-on-one teaching | Everything starts from zero | 24/7 access to constantly updated learning materials | Medium of instruction: English
    Bazi reading service:
    Click here to view detail | Real Bazi reading reports (coming soon)

Tags:

Jing Fang's remarks about the calendar are referring to the solar calendar

Started by hmeskerBoard Liu Yao Yi Gua (LYYG)

Replies: 21
    Views: 291
    Last post August 15, 2019, 11:17:07 PM
    by ArtofFugue
    DGDS calendar for 2020 (+ 28 constellations)

Started by ArtofFugueBoard Date Selection

Replies: 0
    Views: 222
    Last post July 13, 2019, 06:43:44 AM
    by ArtofFugue
    Gmuli XKFX(Flying Star) App

Started by GmuliBoard Xuan Kong Fei Xing

Replies: 4
    Views: 618
    Last post October 19, 2018, 12:05:02 AM
    by j27945
    DGDS calendar for 2019 (+ 28 constellations)

Replies: 16
    Views: 2153
    Last post January 25, 2019, 11:35:25 AM
    by nilox
    OMG! 2 days before Ghost Month, Taiwan approves solar panels in cemeteries

Started by AdministratorBoard Dreams, Omens, Symbols and Taboos

Views: 274
    Last post August 11, 2018, 02:41:13 AM
    by Administrator
    Chinese Solar Calendar month transition

Started by annutaraBoard Miscellaneous

Replies: 7
    Views: 683
    Last post June 04, 2018, 01:46:47 AM
    by annutara
    Xuan Kong Da Gua Calendar 2018

Started by HanShengBoard Date Selection

Replies: 10
    Views: 2181
    Last post January 31, 2019, 09:44:51 PM
    by chary
    solar eclipse on 21 August 2017..

Started by RaoBoard Miscellaneous casual talks

Replies: 16
    Views: 1995
    Last post September 08, 2017, 08:26:56 PM
    by Remoteviewer
    DGDS calendar for 2018 (+ 28 constellations)

Replies: 12
    Views: 3322
    Last post May 08, 2018, 07:42:38 PM
    by ioana
    Gmuli Wen Wang Gua Calculator

Started by GmuliBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 57
    Views: 6294
    Last post August 12, 2019, 11:18:54 AM
    by papasmurf
    software for xkdg calendar

Started by fengshuiartistBoard Date Selection

Replies: 8
    Views: 1680
    Last post March 31, 2017, 11:51:19 PM
    by fengshuiartist
    Re: Online Jia Zi Calendar calculator for Year, Month and Day HS EB

Started by JeremyBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 3
    Views: 1079
    Last post March 15, 2017, 12:56:23 AM
    by Jeremy
    The Chinese Calendar

Started by TEESEEPEEJAYBoard Date Selection

Views: 1118
    Last post February 08, 2017, 10:16:26 AM
    by TEESEEPEEJAY
    2017 Solar and Lunar Eclipses

Started by CyanCatBoard Western Astrology

Replies: 4
    Views: 1250
    Last post March 24, 2017, 12:34:08 AM
    by Gui
    Bazi Q & A * Where do we find free Hsia calendar? *

Started by sosweetBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 1
    Views: 1135
    Last post January 14, 2017, 06:21:19 PM
    by IceLemonTea
    Plot bazi chart - solar vs lunar date

Started by sosweetBoard Si Zhu Ba Zi (SZBZ) 四柱八字

Views: 802
    Last post December 26, 2016, 10:58:59 AM
    by sosweet
    How to find QMDJ calendar

Started by TarnBoard Qi Men Dun Jia

Views: 2092
    Last post February 21, 2018, 04:14:37 PM
    by rotiprata
    Real Solar Time or True local time?

Started by fongwee768Board Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 10
    Views: 1475
    Last post November 07, 2016, 02:42:08 PM
    by Han
    World class, local class...?

Started by johnyqiBoard Blindman School (Mangpai Bazi)

Replies: 2
    Views: 1006
    Last post November 01, 2016, 05:50:44 PM
    by johnyqi
    Is it required to change to solar time for ziwei dou shou?

Started by MacyBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Views: 1360
    Last post November 11, 2017, 09:20:25 AM
    by ArtofFugue
    Calculating True/Apparent Solar Time by the position of the Sun

Started by OwlbearBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Replies: 11
    Views: 2794
    Last post December 30, 2016, 04:21:31 PM
    by sosweet
    DGDS calendar for 2017 (+ 28 constellations)

Replies: 42
    Views: 8125
    Last post June 30, 2017, 05:26:18 PM
    by ArtofFugue
    Xuan Kong Da Gua Calendar 2017

Replies: 61
    Views: 6981
    Last post January 16, 2018, 09:30:15 AM
    by chary
    Xuan Kong Da Gua Calendar 2016

Views: 996
    Last post August 22, 2016, 08:07:45 PM
    by HanSheng
    Solar Time VS Local Time

Started by MachiBoard Request for birth chart reading [FREE]

Replies: 46
    Views: 5496
    Last post July 30, 2016, 03:33:36 PM
    by ArtofFugue
    24 Solar Terms Tutorial

Started by OwlbearBoard Books, Software, Tools, and Resources

Views: 683
    Last post April 27, 2016, 06:22:09 PM
    by Owlbear
    360 Days in 24 Solar Terms (节气)

Started by clsBoard Qi Men Dun Jia

Replies: 5
    Views: 1271
    Last post November 30, 2018, 09:26:55 PM
    by shweet
    24 Solar Terms

Started by clsBoard Qi Men Dun Jia

Replies: 3
    Views: 1305
    Last post April 08, 2016, 10:51:08 AM
    by cls
    Solar Ecllipse in Chinese Metaphysics

Started by dingrayBoard Specific events and analysis (past events)

Replies: 21
    Views: 3540
    Last post March 14, 2016, 09:03:40 PM
    by jellynut
    ▲Re: Solar time

Started by CharlesBoard Date Selection

Replies: 1
    Views: 842
    Last post February 24, 2016, 11:22:25 AM
    by James

Disclaimer:

Your use of FiveArts.Info is at your sole risk. FiveArts.Info cannot be held responsible for the inaccuracy of the readings and information provided by its members.  FiveArts.Info owners, administrators, moderators, masters, members, partners expressly disclaim all warranties of any kind whether express or implied including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

Total visits since 2014: